Monday, December 26, 2011

Beginning a Home Business

    I would love to share a little of how I started our Goat's Milk Soap Business for other Homeschooling Mothers that need a way to help their families.



     When I first got the Vision from the Lord to begin a Soap Business, I was very uncertain of how to begin.   This uncertainty made me hesitant in stepping out in Faith. 
 
    The First Step if you are seeing a Vision, or hearing a call from the Lord is to

Pray!
Step Two; Wait!
Step Three; Pray again,
And Step Four; Wait!
  

     Now I write some of this in fun....but honestly that waiting was the hardest part for me.  I would rather jump into most things and worry later if I do things correctly.  When beginning the Soap Business, I had to wait and research. 
     Researching is very important.  I found that researching began to take away the fear I had of starting a business of my own.  Once I was able to put things into a list, I was able to accomplish SMALL tasks, that led up to bigger ones.
    My first action, was to procure a business license!  I needed a business name to do this, so I began praying for a Name that was lovely as well as "catching!".
    Victorian Rose Soap Company is our registered Name.  We registered it with the State of Oregon as well as registering our Website Name.
    Next we began assembling recipes, supplies, and needs, as well as oodles of information!  This took hours of research.  Even though I had been a soap maker for many years, I had to have far more information to sell soaps than to produce soaps for our family's use.  This research allowed me to adjust recipes with ingredients that I have studied and used in our own home for our family's health and body care.  I have a strong love for natural products, so this blends well with our Soap Business.  I did face a challenge deciding if I wanted to make "UN-natural products available"  I met this with prayer and with a lot of questions to others asking them if they preferred all natural or Beautifully scented? I felt strongly that offering each would help others to learn and use all natural products. 
    When gathering supplies, you will be faced with many questions.  I found this to be one of the many trials of starting a business.  How many soaps do you want to produce?  How many items do we really "need" to start a business?  Just how much do we spend to begin a business?  All of these questions were really answered by my husband and the Lord's leading and providing.
     Steps forward were beginning to shape our business, I will continue on the following this list on my next postings.  I am super excited to be able to share with you ways to help your family.  And if I can answer any questions for you please feel free to leave me a comment in my comment box.  I am also able to personally answer questions if they are of a personal nature. 

Titus 2:4,5 then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.  Love, Karen

3 comments:

Raising Mighty Arrows said...

Karen you have been such a blessing, an inspiration, and a friend to me. I am forever thankful for you and for what I've learned from you. Thank you for truly being a Titus 2 woman to me, though MANY MANY miles separate us. I pray God continues to bless and use you for His honor and His glory! Love you~Heather

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This is a great post. I look forward to reading more in this series. I've been thinking of starting some sort of home-based business...because I've been out of work for a year. My dad is also unemployed...and we really need to do something to bring in some extra income. However, my big thing right now is that I want to do it all debt free. That is super important to me!!! in any case, I'm looking forward to reading more. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Karen, I am super excited about this series of posts you are writing! I think it is fantastic that you are sharing this so others can gain the confidence to step out in faith! I have been so blessed by all your family does, and BTW, I have waited to make our soap order until after the Christmas rush...I knew you were rushing and didn't want to be that old proverbial camel :) It will be after the 1st of the year...God bless you all so many miles away in geography, but not so many is Spirtspace :) Love to you all!